Wednesday 29 July 2009

training logs

I need to decide how I am going to log my training. It is surprising how quickly I forget even the broadest details of what I've done. Having an accurate record is really useful for staying motivated and for keeping variety in the training.

There's nothing wrong with just using a notebook or a spreadsheet. I already use mapmyrun.com to plan and measure running and cycling routes and they provide logging functionality as well. Unfortunately, I would have to upgrade (pay !) to use the mapmyrun log as they quite cleverly let me enter data for free but only let me look at the last 30 days worth of data unless I'm a premium user.

So far this week, my training has been:
Fri: run 40 mins
Sat: run 30 mins, cycle 40 mins
Sun: run 30 mins, cycle 50 mins
Mon: cycle 1 hour, rugby coaching
Tues: run 25 mins, cycle (with Alex) 35 mins
Weds: run 26 mins, gym circuits 20 mins

It has all been steady pace and on the flat. For the time being I am concentrating on developing good habits and building a fitness base that I can then work to improve from.

I think for the timebeing I will stick to using a spreadsheet in google-docs. At some point as I get fitter I will probably want to buy a heartrate monitor and gps watch to record details more accurately and I presume that will be packaged with some software.

No comments:

Post a Comment